If I own property in the US and in another country, doI need a Will for both properties orcan one Will cover all?

Asked on October 5, 2011 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

No, generally speaking, one Will would cover the property distribution in the United States and in another country, but I would have your attorney double check the requirements anyway.  I say this because an ancillary proceeding of some type will have to be brought in the other country in order to dispose of the property or to transfer title.  The probate type court in the other country should allow the fiduciary appointed in the US to deal with the property but maybe a local person needs to also be appointed or there are certain other rules that apply. It is really worth looking in to what is required before hand so that there are no surprises later on.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.