What to do if I own my home and my girlfriend has been staying there not paying rent with no lease agreement but now she won’t leave?

She states that I have to legally evict her. Is this true?

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, she is correct: if someone has lived in your home with permission--even if not as a tenant (e.g. no rent, no lease)--then to remove her, you have to go through the courts. Technically, if she is not a tenant, you do not bring an eviction action but rather what is called an "ejectement" action. It is slightly more formal in procedure than an eviction action; you would be well advised to retain an attorney to help you do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.