i own a small privately viewed camera to record my thousands of dollars of tools and tool boxes at my employers

I own a small privately viewed camera to record my thousands of dollars of tools/tool boxes at my workplace. My employer also has many cameras but not toward my property and I have seen many things of mine being stolen. I don’t record others, hide my camera or have it in sight of customers. I also have a on a loop so it doesn’t save unless I push the marker point to do so. However, my employer isn’t allowing me to keep it. I feel that it’s very important. Since I’m not recording others that it should be allowed but now my job is in jeopardy.

Asked on March 17, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

I can sympathize with your situation. However, absent your employer's consent you cannot have such a videao recording device at your workplace. The fact is that most work relationships are "at will". This means that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination). Accordingly, unless your treatment violates the terms of a union agreement or employment contract, you have no claim here. If you do not comply with your employer's request to remove the camera, you can be terminated. In fact, as an at will worker, can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.