If I own a small home improvement business, in which I plan on doing all of my own work, do I need a general contractor’s license to sell jobs to other companies?

I will do residential siding, roofing, gutters, exterior painting, etc. but non-structural.

Asked on April 9, 2014 under Business Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If each work of improvement exceeds $500 you will need the appropriate contactor's license in your state to legally do what you want to do as a busienss. I suggest that you consult with an attorney in your locality that does business law for further advice. You may want to incorporate and have adequate insurance as well. Such an attorney can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.