What is the statute of limitations for a business debt?

I own a small business 5 years ago a local company performed a service for my company. No contract was drawn up. When the local company completed the service and sent me an invoice, the amount of the invoice was twice as much as verbally agreed to. I never signed the invoice and I have not paid the invoice because we have not been able to come to an agreement. Now, after 5 years, the local company has hired an attorney to sue me for the full amount of the original invoice. Is there a statue of limitations on this local company being able to collect on this 5 year old invoice? Do I have any recourse with this matter?

Asked on February 11, 2016 under Business Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In your state, most debt collection actions, such as for services provided to a busienss, would be considered "collection of debt on account" have a six (6) year statyte of limitations. Your defense based on wht you write would be to show (e.g. by credible testimony; or better yet, even informal writings, like emails or text messages) what the agreed-upon amount was: you do have to pay the amount you agreed to pay, but do not have to pay amounts in excesss of what you agreed to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.