Cana contract be changed arbitrarily?

I own a salon next door to a clothing boutique. I decided I wanted to carry a rack of clothes for my clients to shop while they are in the salon. The boutique next door found out and got the owner to change their contract stating no one else would be allowed to carry clothing. The owner said I could not carry clothing. My contract was written before their contract was written and I have no exclusions in my contract. Their contract was revised one week ago after I ordered the clothing. Do I legally have a right to carry the clothing?

Asked on August 27, 2013 under Business Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

From the facts as written here it seems to me you do have the right.  If the parties want to revise their contract as between them then that is their business.  But they can not revise your contract unless you agree: the boutique has no rights under your contract as they are not a party to it and the landlord can not "unilaterally" change your contract. I think that he will have a hard time enforcing this but I would speak with an attorney in your area who can read it.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.