What to do against my mobile home park if management failed to open a valve for a underground pipe that runs rin front of my mobile home and it caused water damage?

I own a mobile home where I rent a spot from a mobile home park. When it was raining heavily last month, its failure caused water to completely cover my car in my carport and there was at least a foot of standing water throughout the inside of my mobile home that caused major and a lot of damage. What legal action can I take?

Asked on January 20, 2013 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about, if the mobile home park's management failed to open the valve as you have written about resulting in damges to your property, then the park under the laws of all states in this country is responsible for the costs of repairing items that you own.

If you have insurance for your property, I would place a claim with your carrier as well as consult with a consumer law attorney to assist you in getting the matter resolved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.