I own a house with a friend and she changed the locks.

I bought a house with a friend . I moved out and had my husband pay my half of
the mortgage. he still stays there .The house is in me and her name. the electric
ins in mine. I have my stuff locked in a room in the house. she has moved it and
or thrown it out. she also changed the locks. what do i do?

Asked on March 11, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

1) You can sue her to get back into the home: one owner can NOT exclude or lock-out the other owner. Each/every owner has a right to enter, use, and occupy real estate. You can bring a legal action to get a court order requiring that she allow you back in.
2) You can also sue her for the value of the belongings she evidently threw out--she had no right to discard them, and must pay you for them.
Speak to a landlord-tenant attorney: such a lawyer can help you with both legal actions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.