If my lender forecloses on my unit, will my loss be limited to the unit or can the owner below come after me personally regarding damage from a leak?

I own a condo on the 4th floor. Chaulking on top of the bath tub which seals it to the wall had a 1/2 inch break and the tenant on the 3rd floor experienced a leak 3 times in about 2 years. HOA had it inspected by a plumber and he pointed out the break in the caulk. I know that 3 minor leaks in 2 year seems minor but if they claim structural damage or want a bathroom renovation from it, I wouldn’t be able to cover that. Since the leak (no matter how small) is from my unit, do I have to pay for everything that they request even if it’s not reasonable. How do you determine reasonability?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your lender forecloses on your rental your loss would be the unit itself and possibly a deficiency judgment (difference between what is owed on the loan and what the property is foreclosed upon is worth) assuming the loan on the property is not purchase money and your principal residence.

You would not be responsible for any costs of repairing the leaks that you have written about.

I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney about the purchase money loan issue with respect to your unit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.