What to do if I own a commercial building and the adjacent tenant in the adjacent runs a trucking/moving company and has repeatedly hit my side wall?

There is visible damage but they deny having caused it What is the best legal recourse that I have? I was thinking to file a hit and run report the next time this occurs.

Asked on November 5, 2013 under Business Law, California


Brook Miscoski / Hurr Law Office PC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like you could file a lawsuit against the tenant and owner of the adjacent building, but of course there is an evidence problem because you'd have to show that you're correct.

Without knowing more, I'd suggest two things. First, setting up surveillance might help. Second, if you send the owner of the adjacent building a letter asking the owner to pay for the damage to your building and see that it does not continue, that might inspire that owner to have a word with its tenant. That owner probably has a lot more power than you do to get quick results.

That's a practical opinion, not so much a legal one. You can always file a police report, for what those are worth.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.