I overstayed my visa but came back to my country, now my boyfriend and I want to get marry, what are the legal consequences?

I overstayed my visa, came back to my
country and now my boyfriend US
citizen and I want to get marry, but we
are afraid they will not allow me to go
back to US with him, what should we

Asked on September 17, 2016 under Immigration Law, Georgia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It really depends on how long you had overstayed and whether by so doing triggered a bar to reentry.  If you can provide that additional information online or contact me directly I will be able to offer additional information.  Typically, an overstay of less than 180 days should not affect your ability to reenter with a valid visa.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.