How can I find a lawyer knowledgeable enough about child care facilities so that I am not paying for DCFS continuing education?

I operate a child care facility licensed by DCFS. DCFS regulations and the child care statutes allow certain exemptions for facilities that are”urban,” however the regulations and statute do not define urban. We have been denied these exemptions because licensing reps claimed we were not in an urban area, in their opinion. A declaratory ruling agreed with the licensing people. In the absence of a definition, how can I proceed to challenge their ruling? I have done so outside Illinois in a similar case, using census bureau definitions of the term.

Asked on February 20, 2013 under Business Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to go to your state bar association and get a listing of education law attorneys or associations of attorneys who specialize in education law. These individuals should be able to be the first list you look at and contact each to discuss their experiences with education law, child care laws, and administrative rulings and appeals. A fantastic litigation attorney who doesn't know a lick about education law would be successful too because each attorney is ethically require to obtain sufficient competence in the area of law he or she has agreed to represent you in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.