What can I do if I never received my last paycheck but my former employer stated that it was deposited?

I was supposed to be paid on 09/22, however couldn’t make it up to my former job to receive my paycheck that day. I went up to the get my paycheck but my boss said I already had received it. I never signed off on a paycheck nor does my bank account states that I received any payment. The company stated it was

deposited on 10/01. I was wondering what should I do now? My former employer said I have to take it up with

my bank but how can I take it up with my bank when I never received the payment to my bank.

Asked on January 15, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the employer for the money: whether or not it was desposited by *someone* (e.g. if someone intercepted or stole it) doesn't change the fact that they had a legal obligation to pay you. Let them in the lawsuit try to prove that you did receive the money, if that is their defense. Suing in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se," is a  good, cost-effective option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.