What are my rights if I want to sue an internet service company for their fraudulent misrepresentations of service?

I agreed to their contract and after only a few days I tried to cancel because it became clear that their usage and speed claims were false. I called their customer service number numerous times only to be hung up on and put on hold until my cell minutes ran out. I have all of the documentation of what took place and when. Now I’m being threatened by their collection agency to pay a full year of service plus collection fee’s. I am not paying another dime and want to sue.

Asked on November 9, 2015 under Business Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You should contact your bank first and file a dispute regardng fraud. Your bank may be able to simply refund your money. Then, contact your state attorney general and file a complaint through that office. Next, consider filing a claim through the Federal Trade Commission. You then need to get your free credit reports and file a dispute through each credit reporting agency if you find this listed as a tradeline.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.