If I need to set up an S Corp for my business, is this something that I can do on my own?

Any details/ potential difficulties to be aware of?

Asked on January 11, 2013 under Business Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Ordinarily it is not too difficult for one who is not an attorney to submit Articles of Incorporation to one's secretary of state with a proper fee to incorporate an S corporation and then submit an application to the Internal Revenue Service for a tax identification number if he or she has a business background.

The problem arises in getting a corporate book in order for the bylaws, minutes and stock certificates. I always suggest consulting with a business attorney to do the above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.