I need to retrieve personal belongings from an ex.

My wife and I are going through a mutual marriage annulment. I have moved out but I have some personal belongings at her house. I have been trying to contact her by phone, email and text message to set up a date and time for me to retrieve them, but she does not respond. The only time she responds, she threatens to damage/discard and dispose of my items. What can I do to get my belongings out?

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is a court proceeding where you and your soon to be "ex" are going through a mutual marriage annulment and you want to retrieve belongings that you have at her house, one way to get them is to have your attorney call hers to work out an arrangement. If you do not have an attorney, the other way to get access is to file a motion with the court seeking the relief that you want. If the court approves such, then you have an order allowing what you desire.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.