What kind of attorney would I need to file suit against the owner of a salon if I gave her a check to become a partner but she spent my money?

She was supposed to buy out her current partner and renew the business licence with our names but she didn’t.

Asked on September 18, 2015 under Business Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You would hire a litigator--someone who does lawsuits--preferably one who handles breach of contract and business disputes at least as part of his or her practice, not someone who only does personal injury or malpractice cases. If you don't know such an attorney and do not find one through our website, contact your city and/or state bar association and explain the situation they should be able to direct you to an appropriate lawyer or lawyers. You could also "Google" search try searching for "breach of contract," "sue," and "attorney" or "lawyer" plus the name of your city or town, and you should find possible lawyers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.