Am I able to move out of state with my 2 kids?

Their dad is an illegal immigrant and we were never married. He does not pay child support and I’m afraid he may try and take the kids out of the country. My boyfriend lives in another state and he knows my kids and he’s is willing to give me and my kids a good home. Am I able to move with him?

Asked on September 16, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Absent a court order stating that you cannot relocate your children to another state in this country, you have the legal right to do so given the circumstances that you have written about. To be on the safe side, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to write your children's father a letter setting forth your intent to relocate the children out of state into the abode with your boyfriend.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.