How to make my former boss pay me the $8000 that he owes me for working for his company?

I feel helpless powerless; they’re ignoring me I don’t know what to do.

Asked on July 21, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are not hopeless. Most states, including Nevada, have agencies that are specifically set up to help workers collect wages that have not been paid by former or current employers.  In Nevada, the agency would be the Office of the Labor Commissioner.  They have an online website where you can start the complaint process.  You are free to hire an attorney to send a demand letter... however, you may want to start with the labor commission because it's an agency specificlly designed to assist workers in your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.