I need to know how to get my criminal record of retail teft first offense sealed from my records so I will be able to find a job in Illinois, Jackson.

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Here's a link to the information that you will need to seal your record.  There is also something called "expungement" but since you were convicted I don't that will be available to you under Illinois law.  It would be more used for clearing an arrest record if you were found not guilty or you were arrested and the charges were dropped.  Also, you didn't give your age at the time of the offense, that too can make a difference. 

Anyway, the following link should answer all of your questions and guide you through the process: http://www.state.il.us/defender/exp.html

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.