How do I go about getting accepted into a diversion program?

I see that the option must be presented by the State Attorney but is there a way to indicate interest prior to the arraignment? I am 22 years old, have no criminal record, exemplary grades, I belong to an honor society, have a business where I work with children regularly and so on. The charge is for petit theft of items totaling $155. Can someone please explain to me the best plan of action for my specific case and the chances that I will be accepted into the program?

Asked on August 5, 2014 under Criminal Law, Florida


Theresa Langford / Theresa C. Langford, Attorney at Law

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Hire a lawyer - you have far too much at stake to risk losing it all over this one instance.  An attorney will know the process in your jurisdiction (each one is different) to access the Divert Program.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.