I need to get a copy of my deceased mother’s will

I only received the first two pages of her will
from my brother I need to see the whole will I
am one of the legal beneficiaries

Asked on April 2, 2016 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have the right to see your mother's Will in its entirety. If it has been entered into probate, then it is a matter of public record so you or anyone has a right to see it. If it has not yet been entered into probate, then as either a child or named beneficary you are what is known as an "interested party". This means that you have a legal right to see it. Since you brother is unwilling to give you a complete copy of your mother's Will, at this point, you can contact the appropriate probate court and/or consult directly with a local probate attorney as to your situation. They will be in the best position to help you enforce your rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.