I need help writing a subrogation dispute letter?

I need help formally writing a dispute letter. I was involved in a car accident 5
months ago. I received a letter in the mail that the other drivers insurance
company wants to sue for 11,700. No attorney has evaluated the claim yet
and I could dispute the claim or agree to make payments.
I don’t want to plead guilty without trying to dispute it first.

This is how my accident happened
I was the one hit while I was turning right onto the Interstate Highway. There
was a Yield Sign, and I made a complete stop then proceeded to turn right
but I skipped over to the second lane, and then I got hit while I was turning.
The ticket quoted that I had failed to yield for the driver but I did make the
complete stop.
At that time, my insurance had temporarily lapsed a month before my
accident leaving me uninsured at the time of the accident. The reason it had
lapsed was because my mom was issued a new debit card from our bank and
the numbers on it changed. My mom didn’t update it with our insurance
company, therefore the insurance company cancelled our insurance.

Asked on June 9, 2017 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You write a dispute letter by simply laying out why you believe you were not at fault and/or believe that the other driver was at fault. Be specific and detailed as you can, and state that is why you do not believe that you are responsible for this cost. There is no formula or standard template for it: it's simply making as good a case as you can while being truthful. If you are wiling to pay part of the money (e.g $5,000), you may wish to put that offer on the table, at least if they refuse your initial attempt to pay nothing. If you are willing to offer a settlement, start by offering less than your top number; let them push you up to your highest figure. Bear in mind that settling or letting you off the hook is voluntary on their part; they could elect to sue you and let a court determine if you owe money, and how much.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.