What can I do if Ineed help modifying a “Motion to Reconsider Ruling” form for a divorce case that I missed due to emergency hospitalization?

For a final divorce hearing that I missed due to emergency hospitalization, I need help modifying a “Motion to Reconsider Ruling” form to set another date. My husband also lied under oath (provable) and was granted all his terms of the divorce including child custody which is notin our children’s best interest. I’ve been directed by the court to www.in.gov/judiciary/selfservice/forms and told to find a form to use and modify it.

Asked on July 13, 2010 under Family Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You really should have legal counsel for all of this.  If money is an issue, see if you qualify for representation Legal Aid (their are income limits) or see if they can recommend someone to help you.  Also, check if there is a law school nearby to where you live; they typically run free/low cost clinics that handle these type cases.  Contact the local Bar Association in your county; they may have a list of attorneys who will take your case "pro bono" (for free) or at least for a reduced fee based on your income/circumstances.  Additionally, google women's support groups in your area, they can usually provide a list of attorneys who can help.  Finally, contact your state's Department of Social Services, they may be able to refer you to free legal services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.