I need advice on how to stop my neighbor from harrasing me and my other neighbors?

For the last 10 years my neighbor living behind me has complained to me and both my next door neighbors about noise. What she deems as excessive noise is nothing more than kids playing in the back yard in my next door neighbor’s yard, my kids playing on a trampoline, whene over we have people over (which is not that often) and we are outside in the evening eating dinner and talking. The set up is tough as her house is encircled by 6 properties; 1 is mine so it is pretty obvious from the set up that she would be hearing sounds from 6 different yards. She used to yell across the creek at us.

Asked on June 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the neighbor has made baseless (not supported by the evidence) complaints to the police, and/or has brought any baseless civil actions or lawsuits against you, you could sue the neighbor for abuse of process or malicious prosecution.

Or if the neighbor is doing anything which is itself wrongful, such as threatening you or your children, vandalizing your property, etc., you could sue and/or report those acts to the police.

However, if the neighbor just likes to complain to you, including yelling across the creek to you, there is most likely nothing you can do; the law does not enforce civility or reasonableness, or prevent people from complaining to or about others (even without good justification).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.