If I moved cross-country after my boyfriend proposed to me, what are my rights now that he wants to break up?

Now, after 3 months, he said that things are not working out. I need to go back to my former state of residence. However, I lost my apartment there as well as my job. Can he kick me out without notice and no place to stay with no money?

Asked on November 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  Are you on the lease to the apartment?  Or can you be established as a tenant in the apartment?  If you are not on the lease but have an oral sublease then he has to give you proper notice of eviction.  But yes eventually he can get you out and he has no financial obligation to support. you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.