What to do if I moved out of an apartment 20 months ago and the landlord is just now asking for a patio table back and threatening to report it as stolen?

I moved into a legally unfurnished apartment, though the landlord was moving out of state and left several things there, including the table, a lamp, plants, and so on. I asked what they wanted me to do with this stuff, and they said it was mine to do with what I will. This landlord never returned my security deposit and never explained why. I have not heard from her in 20 months. I do not care about the table, but do not want to see her again and do not want to be harassed. What are my options?

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the patio table that was at the rental that you had was not yours, you should return it to the former landlord to end the issue on that subject.

As to your security deposit that was not returned well after 45 days after move out, I would write the former landlord a letter asking for its return or a written itemization of the debits from the security with receipts and the like as required by law. If the accounting concerning your security deposit indicates that you are owed money from your former landlord, small claims court seems like an option for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.