If I moved into an apartment recently and found out that it’s infested with fleas, is there anything I can do as far as recovering any losses due to the pest problem?

I moved into an apartment and found out that it was infested with fleas a few days after living there. We already moved in all our stuff, so a lot of the things have probably been contaminated.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

All landlords have the obligation to provide rentals that are "fit for their intended purpose" (this is called the implied warranty of habitability). When a landlord fails to do so, such as through a pest infestation, the tenant may be entitled to recover his or her costs or losses caused by the infestation--it depends on the circumstances (for example, did the prior tenant let the landlord know there was a problem, so the landlord should have taken action; without knowlege, the landlord did nothing wrong). Bear in mind, however, that if the landlord refuses to reimburse you your pest-related costs, you'd have to sue to recover them, which may or may not be worthwhile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.