What to do if I moved in with a friend for a few months and when I moved out the landlord changed the locks before I could move my stuff?

He said that my friend owes him back rent and that I cannot get any of my stuff until she pays. I paid the rent for the months that I lived there. What can I do?

Asked on January 28, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can bring a legal action against the landlord seeking both or either of 1) a court order requiring the landlord to allow you to retrieve your belongings and/or 2) monetary compensation, either for any belongings you cannot recover or for any costs you have incurred (such as the cost of buying new clothing because you cannot access the clothing in the unit). Regardless of whether or not your friend owes rent to the landlord or not, the landlord has NO legal right to withhold the belongings of any persons living in the unit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.