What to do if I moved from one state to another 2months ago and 5 days ago a small claims was filed in my former statefor an unpaid credit card?

The summons has my old address on it so they clearly don’t realize I don’t live there anymore. Can they still proceed with the court filing there even though I relocated long before the filing?

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have moved out of state recently and subsequent to your move a small claims court action was filed against you in your former state, you have the option of filing a motion to change venue to the county and state where you now reside or file and answer to the complaint and defend yourself.

Most likely if you file a motion to transfer venue, the motion will be denied because the debt that you are being sued for arose when you were a resident of your former state. From what you have written the location where the small claims court action is located is probably proper.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.