I missed my appearance in court for cititation. What do I do now?

I missed my appearance in court for cititation of failure to change address. What do
I do now?

Asked on March 19, 2016 under General Practice, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Contact the court right away. Explain that you missed the appearance accidentally and explain why. Ask that they give you a new court date. The may request you to send something in writing, but for a minor citation, when you reacted just days later and asked for a new date, they are very likely to grant you one. (Don't miss the new one.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.