If I have had sexual intercourse a few times with a girl that is 15 years of age and I am 18 years of age and her mother calls the police, what can I do?

The girl told me that she was 17. He mother found out and wants to press charges and tell my coach and parents. Is there anything I can do? She keeps harassing me.

Asked on October 28, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In your state, if somone who is 18 or older has intercourse with a minor (less than 18) who is 3 or more years younger (so, for example, sex between an 18 year old and a 15 year old), that is sexual assault, even if the sex was consensual and even if there was a mistake as to age. So you could face charges, prosecution, possibly jail time, and possibly being labeld as a sexual offender. They may also tell anyone what you did (including your coach and parents), since there is no law against telling the truth about what a person did, no matter how harmful that truth. You are advised to speak with a criminal defense attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.