If I had a car accident and was taken to the hospital but now the adjuster needs my signature to obtain the hospital report, should I sign it?

I may have had a seizure causing me to run off the road and total my car however I was not injured other than a little bruising. On the police report, 2 witnessses said I ran off the road trying to avoid hitting a car that cut in front of me. I don’t remember anything, however I do suspect that I was knocked unconcious. Then after being pulled from the car by a witness I had a seizure. The police and EMTs are witness to the seizure. I was transported to the ER and released after CT scans were done. The police report does not mention a seizure -only the hospital report and I guess the EMT report. The medical expenses will be about $10000 I’m guessing. Should I sign the release?

Asked on October 8, 2014 under Accident Law, Alabama


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should sign the release to allow the adjuster to verify your injuries and your damages.  You also should meet with a personal injury attorney to maximize your insurance recovery.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.