If I may have a possible 3rd DV and they police want me to come and give a statement, am I legally required to go?

One was dismissed. I served 6 months probation on the 2nd. The police now want me to come in and give a statement. Do I legally have to? Are warrants a possibility? They won’t even tell me if theres a charge. I’m 51 years old and believe that I have some sort of PTSD from being in abusive relationships all my life.

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Under no circumstances speak with the police without having an attorney present

You are not legally required to go to the police station and give a statement. In fact, you do not have to speak with them even if they come to your house. You could easily and unintentionally say something incriminating about yourself regarding this incident. 

Questioning you without your having a lawyer by your side is to their benefit. Make no mistake, they will try and get you to implicate yourself. So no matter how friendly they may appear ("We just want to get your side of the story"), or no matter how intimidating they seem ("It would be in your best interests to speak with us"), do not do so without an attorney. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.