How can I egally move out of state with my baby without his father?

I am trying to separate with my boyfriend and move out of state with my baby to be with my family. Hes threatened me with reporting me for kidnapping if I dare leave. I am not leaving without my child. What do I do?

Asked on June 23, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were never married to your child's father and there has been no order establishing paternity or support then you alone are the legal guardian of the child. Kidnapping may not really apply.  I would speak with an attorney and explain the circumstances. If it is determined that you can not leave with out his consent or court order apply for the court order. But ask the attorney what your chances really are before you take on legal fees.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.