I’m trying to have money returned from an OK property do I need a OK real estate attorney or CA real estate attorney – I live in CA?

I put down money for a real estate transaction to purchase rental property in OK. It’s been two years since this transaction and the real estate agent has stated I can’t get my money until the property is sold to someone else.

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need an attorney where the land is.  It's a pretty unshakeable rule, that when it comes to land, the court for the place where the land actually is has the last word.  One place you can look for a qualified attorney anywhere is our website, http://attorneypages.com

It sounds from your question as if you backed out of the contract without a reason good enough, and that Oklahoma (where I don't practice) has law that, like other states, only allows the seller to keep as much of your deposit as needed to make up the difference if it sells for less.  If that's the story, there may not be much that a lawyer can do to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.