What to do if I’m the sole heir and peronal rep on my dad’s Will and would like to have my daughter take his home?

She was the secondary listed on the Will. What would be the best way to do this? Must I change the deed to myself then transfer to her or can I just do a personal rep transfer deed right to her and have her take it has the heir on property transfer?

Asked on April 8, 2015 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  So you inherited the home via your Mother's Will, correct?  You can disclaim your inheritance within 9 months of your Mother's date of death and then it would go to your daughter as per the Will.  This must be in writing and filed in the Probate proceeding.  Then you would indeed transfer the property via Executor's Deed after debts are paid, taxes, etc.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.