If I’m taking my former employer to court for willful withholding of my wages and they have a history of doing this, is there a way for me to gain access to their previous court case files?

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

One way to ascertain information from your employer's prior court cases with former employees is to go down to the courthouse and pull up the case numbers of the prior matters. From there, make a written discovery request for specific information needed on these matters from the formal employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.