If I’m renting a home with a signed lease that isn’t up for another 9 months and the house was just sold, can my landlord give me a 30 day notice to vacate?

The landlord just informed me by phone that she sold the house and that I have 30 days to move. Does she have to buy me out of my lease? This is not a short sale or foreclosure. Does she have to send me notice of vacate certified to be valid.

Asked on May 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Absent a provision your lease that your tenancy ends upon sale, your lease is still very much in effect. The new owners will have to take title subject to your continued occupancy. If your landlord insists upon your vacating, you can take him to court for unlawful eviction. Additionally, if your landlord takes any other action aginst you such as turning off the water, locking you out, etc. you can sue them for damages. However, there are cetain exceptions to the above so you may want to consult with an attorney that practices landlord-tenant law in your area. You could also try contacting a local tenant's rights organization.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.