If I’m a subcontractor and I am owed a large sum of money from a general contractor, what actionsI can take?

I’ve been working for the contractor (as 1099 sub) for many years. Now he owes me $10,000 and won’t pay. There are no contracts with him just a invoices for jobs completed. What can I do about it?

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You sue him. If there was an agreement or agreements--including oral (sometimes called verbal) agreements that you would do certain work in exchange for certain pay, those agreements are enforceable and you may sue him for the money he owes you. A lawsuit is actually the only way you can get paid, if he won't pay you voluntarily. For $10,000, it's well worth hiring an attorney to represent you. Look for a lawyer who specializes in business disputes or litigation--not a personal injury lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.