What to do about unruly roommates?

I’m on a lease with 2 other roommates and they have made my living situation uncomfortable over the last month. They have parties with underage drinking. My lease does not say anything about roommate issues, so I’m not sure if our house manager will care.

Asked on November 26, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you are leasing a unit with two other roommates who are makiing things difficult for you, I would contact the landlord and see what can be done on his or her end as far as cutting back on the parties that are going on at your rental with under age drinking. The other option is to discuss the situation with your two roommates.

Unfortunately unless your written lease has a prohibition against what is going on or if you have a written agreement with your two other roommates prohibiting what they are doing there really is not much you can do about the situation.

If you are on a month-to-month lease, your option would be to give notice to your landlord that you are ending the lease and when the time runs, you move out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.