If I’m not the biological father but still on birth papers and it’s past the 2 years to contest, can I still get a DNA test and get off the birth certificate?

Asked on January 26, 2013 under Family Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Just because you are named as the fathe rof the minor child on the birth certifate you have written about, such does not mean that you cannot contest the naming for the simple fact that you did not sign a document stating that you were the father. Based upon what you have written about, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to file a paternity petition to see if you are the actual father or not and move from there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.