What do I owe ifI moveout of my apartment complex early?

There is an addendum to the contract for early termination, there were 2 options and I signed for option 1 – “You agree to pay $1,000(an amount that does not exceed 2 month’s rent) to us as liquidated damages or an early termination fee, if you elect to terminate the lease contract early, as we waive the right to seek additional rent beyond the month in which we retake possession.” I will be completely moved out of my apartment in 10 days (the 12th), however the rental office is stating that I needed to give 60 days notice and still owe next month’s rent.

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

For a definitive answer, you need to bring the whole lease and any addenda to an attorney to review in detail with you, since any contract (and that's what a lease is, after all: a contract) must be read as whole, since one clause or paragraph affects another.

That said, based purely on the section you have quoted, it would appear that:

1) you do not owe 60 days notice, since it appears that in lieu of notice and/or additional rent for the balance of the lease's term, you would owe the $1,000 as liquidated damages.

2) You owe rent for whichever month it is in which you actually leave and the landlord retakes possession.

Against though, there could be language elsewhere in the lease affecting this,  so you need to consult wiith an attorney who can review the entirety of the lease, including addenda.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.