What to do if I’m in the process of starting a kennel business and own the building/land but my business partner wants me to list her on the deed as well?

I want to know is that a normal process or should it be OK for us to start the business as it is? I want to make sure that I cover myself in the event the business does not work out.

Asked on July 14, 2014 under Business Law, Georgia


Shawn Jackson / The Jackson Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Keep the real estate and the business is two seperate entities. Unless you are selling the real estate to your business partner, why would you want them on the title. You will want to consult with an attorney in your geographic State for further consultation.

Shawn Jackson California Business Attorney 

Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Much more would have to be known about the business and its structure.  If the business does not own the preperty, there is no reason that the other business owner need to be on the title.  Certainly, the business can lease space and that space may be owned by one of the business primcipals separately.  

You should certainly discuss this matter with an attorney. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.