I was 16 weeks pregnant by someone other than my husband at the time that I was married, would I be able to get an annulment?

I’m in the military and currently stationed at Andrews AFB. My husband is also stationed here. Then 3 weeks after we were married I found out that I was 16 weeks pregnant by someone other than my husband. Meaning I was unknowinly pregnant at the time we were married.

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Family Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

While you can ask for an annulment, it probably will not be granted to you. Annulments in theory--though court may be more lenient--are granted for matters going to "fraud" in marriage; for example, that one party lied about wanting or being capable of having children, or about his/her sexual orientation, or was mentally incompetent and could not knowingly consent to marriage. However, having sexual relations with someone other than your spouse (or then spouse-to-be) and/ore being pregant by someone else is not a fraud on marriage in that way--though it is certainly grounds for divorece.

Again, though, the courts are  often more lenient than they in theory should be; you should consult with a family or divorce law attorney about your situation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.