What to do if I have been charged with a DUI?

I blew a .09% on the chemical test inside of their offices. There was no aggravation and the cops seemed to like how well I cooperated. They even encouraged me to fight it. I have a few more days to go into the DMV and ask to fight it. What should be my course of action? any recommendations on lawyers or going in by myself?

Asked on September 8, 2013 under Criminal Law, California



Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I would need to know more details, but a .09 is still above the legal limit of .08.  The question will be whether you were in a rising blood alcohol situation when the test was taken, or a declining blood alcohol situation.  The reason that this is important, is because the relevant blood alcohol is the % at the time of your actual driving.  For example, depending on various factors, let's say that at the time you were driving, your blood alcohol was .07, but by the time the test was administered in the office, it showed .09.  This would be the case if your blood alcohol was on the rise.  It is strongly suggested that you consult with counsel.




IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.