If I’m 15 and cannot handle living with my “family’ anymore, Is there anyway that I can be able to be placed into a different household?

I know that they’re trying their best, but in the big spectrum, they’re not helping in any way shape or form. I feel as if for the past 15 years I’ve been raising myself. Anyways, It’s like living with people who are worse than strangers. I cannot find to tell them anything about myself without being judged or being told that I am going down a bad path. Regardless, things have escalated, and whenever I do open up to them, my mother just makes me feel worse. In the past year I tried to overdose, one of the many reasons being is the emotional and mental stress they put on me.

Asked on October 8, 2014 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It sounds as if you are having a tough time of things but that you are a really intelligent kid with a lot of insight in to the situation. Naturally at times it is a bit overwhelming and that has caused you to make some decisions that have been probably based more on emotion than your obvious intellect, like overdosing. I worry about you and that because that means you really need to talk to some one when you start to feel overwhelmed.  Some one other than a friend.  Maybe some one at school or a counseling center or even a suicide help line. Families can be hard.  Very hard.  And some times things get so crazy that people forget to just listen and be supportive.  Instead they give you an opinion and if it differs from yours it may sound like criticism.  Moms are probably the biggest culprits because they only really want the best for their kids and they often think that they need to guide you down the path that they believe is the best rather than help you guide yourself.  It is a small distinction to state but in reality it can be very difficult for a parent to actually do it well.  From what you have written I think that you are loved by your family but it may just coming out the wrong way.  You well being physically and emotionally is the most important thing here.  Is there an adult family member that you trust and can confide in and who would consider your request to live with them for a bit?  And would your parents consent?  The only way to be placed in a "different household" legally and with out family consent is if you were taken away and placed in to the foster system, and that could be a nightmare. It is better to try and come to a mutual decision with your family and a person everyone trusts to have you live with them.  And maybe get a counselor involved to help facilitate the process.  You seem to have so much to offer the world and 15 is a very tough age.  You feel as if you do not belong anywhere and trying to fit in to a family that maybe views life differently than you can make things even more awkward for you.  But don't despair - really. By writing here in this site you have said to everyone: I am taking control of my life and I am finding a way to help myself out of this situation I feel is too much for me to take anymore.  You know what strength and wisdom of years that takes?  A tremendous amount and you should be very proud of yourself. So take the next step and seek out some one that can help you sort this out with your parents.  Not just to make things better at home (which is important) but to make things better for your future.  It appears that it will be a bright one for you and I wish you good luck and the strength you need to take the next steps toward it.  Best.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.