How best to handle spousal support if my ex-wife living in a common-law marriage arrangement?

I’m getting ready to take my ex 2 court to have maintenance terminated on the grounds she’s been involved in a common-law marriage arrangement (but she won’t call it that). The majority of my evidence was collected from her garbage on the street and I am filing copies of all the documents with my motion to terminate maintenance. Should I tip my hand and send a copy of the evidence to her also at this time or wait until a court date has been established and then send it? Do I even have to provide it unless she asks?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Make sure that you google what is required for establishing a common law marriage in Colorado.  Courts are very particular about same.  The key is, though, that there has to be an intent of the parties and that they "hold themselves out" as married.  I assume that you are making a motion to modify the order.  You have to serve her with a copy of the motion and the exhibits attached thereto under procedural law in any state, either before or after you file the motion depending.  In an Ex Parte motion - often called an Order to Show Cause - the court sets the date and then you serve.  In ordinary motion proactice the party making the motion sets the date and serves before they file the motion.  Generally courts do not take the motion unless it has been served on the other party.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.