If I’m drafting my Will and I own a condiminium in the US but would like to leave it to a friend that is Argentine and living in Argentina, is that possible?

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You certainly can leave property whomever you wish but the tax is the issue. You will and should speak wtih an estate planning attorney who handles international bequests and see if it may be more prudent to create a trust (tax purposes). A will is going to require probate; trusts do not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.