Will I still need to pay child support for my kids once they turn 18 years old or continue to pay child support if they choose to continue going to college?

I have 2 kids with my ex-wife; they are 13 years old and 15 years old. My divorce decree says that I stop paying child support once they turn 18 or finish high school which ever comes first. Can she go back and change that? I’m currently in the military on active duty and my ETS is in 5 years.

Asked on January 27, 2013 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You are only obligated to pay child support to the age set out in the decree.  Texas does not require you to pay for the college expenses of your children.... so she cannot take you back to add on to your child support obligation for this expense.  If one of your children developed a medical condition which required extra care, and thus extra expense, then she could potentially take you back to court to extend child support for the special needs of the child.

At this point, the only want she could get a court order to get you to pay extra support while your kids are in college expenses is if you agreed to the modification of the decree. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.